What is Material Design support library ?
Good news to android developers, google made developer’s life easy by announced new power pack material design support library in Google I/O.
This library is the best solution for implementing material design features in your android application.
Why we needed android design support library ?
Android 5.0 Lollipop is best OS with eye-catching user interface. Main heart of lollipop is material design. You can check material design specification for understanding material design concept.
But in early stage of lollipop release we have decent document about material design but to implement it into android app is quite tricky. we have used many third party libraries for achieving looks like material design.
But now with help of design support library we can implement all features very easily and in just few steps.
7 important Features in material design support library
- NavigationView: Easily build material navigation drawer with NavigationView.
- Floating labels for editing text: Replace hint into floating label for EditText.
- Floating action button: Useful button to do primary actions in app’s user interface.
- Snackbar: Goodbye toast, snack bar android for display quick response about an operation.
- TabLayout: android tabs like play store and WhatsApp app using TabLayout in android
- Collapsing Toolbar: Expand/Collapse toolbar with animation.
- CoordinatorLayout: Additional level of control over touch events between child view
Let’s start exploring “Design support library tutorial” series step by step.
Section 2: Floating label EditText android example
Section 3: Floating Action Button
Section 4: Android TabLayout example
Section 5: Snackbar android example
Section 6: Collapsing Toolbars android example
Section 7: CoordinatorLayout android example